EducationGregg Olson received a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Oregon in 1975. Following a year of study in England he received a degree in Conservation Studies from the Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies in York in 1977.
He has taught hands-on restoration classes and seminars and has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Oregon.
Oregon contractor's license number: 26701
ProjectsGregg's work in historic preservation has been ongoing since 1972. What follows are some highlights of the projects, including each stucture's original date.
Watch for this photo link: There are also some additional text links to related websites.
-Skidmore and Yamhill Districts, Portland, Oregon. Nomination of both Districts to the National Register with Bob Sutton. Oregon State Historic Preservation Office
-Monteith House, ca. 1849, Albany, reconstructed sash, newel, doors, interior woodwork, Monteith Historical Society
-Birdseye Log House, 1856, Rogue River, prefire restoration, private
-Fry House, ca. 1865, Aurora, wooden gutter replacement, chimney and mantel repair, private.
-Beekman House, 1875, Jacksonville, dismantling and rebuilding kitchen chimney, Southern Oregon Historical Society.
-Benton County Courthouse, 1892, Corvallis, interior molding replacement, Benton County.
-Jackson County Courthouse, 1883, Jacksonville, exterior restoration of belvedere, Southern Oregon Historical Society.
-Fanno House, 1859, Beaverton, historic joinery: reconstruction of windows, doors and spindles, Tualatin Parks and Recreation District.
-Villard Hall, 1885, Eugene, porch restoration, restoration of northeast pavilion, University of Oregon.
-Keil House, ca. 1875, Aurora, complete exterior restoration of south elevation, private.
-Asa Cate Farm ensemble, ca. 1890, McMinnville, complete barn restoration, house exterior, foundation and sill restoration, private.
-David McCully House, 1865, Salem, porch restoration, private.
-Fiechter House, ca. 1858, Finley Wildlife Refuge, double fireplace foundation and hearth consolidation, U.S. Fish and Wildlife.
-Peters-Wintermeier House, 1871, Eugene, carriage house restoration, private. (Today the carriage house is the workshop of David Gusset, violin maker.)
-Old Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, 1871, Newport, sash restoration and reproduction, repair of stair railing, Oregon State Parks.
-Manson Barn, 1862, Champoeg, new sill structure, south bent and ridgebeam, all hand-hewn, other members repaired, new siding, Oregon State Parks.
-Charles Brown House, 1903, Stayton, nomination with Ernst Lau, millwork, research, reconstruction drawings. Santiam Heritage Foundation
-Fort Yamhill, 1855-1866, Valley Junction, study by Gregg Olson and Philip Dole to determine Fort history regarding the Officer’s Quarters. Restoration of hewn sill structure. Oregon State Parks.